Thursday, March 15, 2012

The day after tomorrow

When I was kid the phrase "the day after tomorrow" generally meant something really exciting.  "Santa Claus is coming the day after tomorrow!"  "We leave for vacation the day after tomorrow!" "Spring break starts the day after tomorrow!"  As I have gotten older this phrase has taken on a new meaning, don't get me wrong, many exciting things happen "the day after tomorrow..."  but now it's "Rent is due the day after tomorrow!"  "The cable might be shut off the day after tomorrow!" or "My surgery is the day after tomorrow!"

My surgery is the day after tomorrow, and to be honest, I am (cautiously) excited about it.  I am very fortunate to have had this time to research, study, question, ponder, think, and did I say research? this surgery.  Yes, on any given day you may find me you tubing the procedure. When I was first told I needed surgery I kept thinking to myself, "I wish that they told me that I needed to go in today, I wish I didn't have to wait and have all this time to think about it"  Now, my thoughts have changed and I am thankful for this time that I have had to prepare.  

I want to express my gratitude to my family and friends for their support, kind words, and understanding.  I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful group of people around me to be my cheering squad. I realize in the grand scheme of things, my measily little grapefruits (which by now I am convinced are cantaloupes) aren't that big of a deal. I know that some people may think that it can't be that bad and it can't affect me that much.... but I fully expect for my life to be back on track after this surgery.  I want to exercise again without having stabbing pains up and down my side, I want to run around with my nieces and not care if they jump on me like a jungle gym. I want for my cat to be able to jump on my lap without bringing tears to my eyes (corny i know, but those little paws hurt!) I want to cuddle with my husband on my comfortable side, without feeling one grapefruit push against whatever it's laying on.  Most of all,  I am ready to say goodbye to tutti and frutti and close this chapter because frankly, I am SO over it.  Yes, I'm scared and nervous and emotional about everything that's about to take place. I have had some serious discussions with my doctor about the scary "what ifs," and I have to tell Shawn what direction to give the doctors if those "what ifs" really do happen....but I'm prepared, and he's prepared, and we're OK.  I am finally in a place of feeling really good about this, and okay with this.  At this time, the day after tomorrow, the surgery will be over, how sweet is that?

Let's get the show on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
;